Friday, January 6, 2012

helping the world dose not take smarts it takes talking like a six grader

I know it is a little late but happy holidays to my friends and family. It was a little weird spending Christmas over here because it was so warm and there was no snow. So me and my friends did the only thing that anyone would do in this situation when they miss snow...head to the beach. We rented out a house in popeguine and spent five days laying around on the beach in good company and forgetting that we were in Africa for the moment. Also Popenguine is a huge catholic town so we were able to go to mass on Christmas eve. Granted I did not understand any of it because it was in french and Wolof, two languages I don't speak, but the cool part was the there was no organ the music was entirely singing and drumming. It was amazing experience. The next morning we did a gift exchange and played in the sand. As for work it has been slow I have been going around to local baptisms and talking with people on daily basis trying to get them to think about nutrition, first aid, and sanitation like washing your hands. Although I have not got my family to wash their hands with soap but they are cleaning their dishes with soap and bleach. so slow steps but on the plus side I do consider myself fluent in Sereer, I speak like six grader but people can understand me so that is all that really maters. I found out some very interesting things for start my dad is a shaman. So him and my brother Mbye know traditional herbal medicine as well my dad can make talismans to ward of evil spirits. The interesting part about this is he became a shaman because he used hunt wild animals. In Sereer culture they believe you have to kill the animal in your dreams spiritually first then you kill it physically the next day. that incite is what people recognize as a spiritual blessing and means you have great incite in to life. So this means if I ever start having dreams about sick sticky children mobbing my village and they only way to stop them is to pelt them with soap, I know that God has giving a gift and my work will pick up. That or the meflquin is creeping back into my system. Either way Waagum fi a fax no safu (I am able to do good with soap).

1 comment:

  1. Hey hey jimbalaya! I hope you are well, and happy, and doing good work! that being said, I also wish you were here because I miss you terribly and might be developing scurvy. (possibly unrelated.. only time can tell.) Be safe, have fun, and hit me up on the facebook next time you're around! also, I has a skype account, but idk if that's within your internet capabilities. either way, my account is alamochafish, so add me. or not. lol love you!

    --Alana

    ReplyDelete