Saturday, March 3, 2012

Poop and dirt

So the work has been going slowly and the large dent in my hut wall has been growing steadily, as well as my head concussions, I also know I complained about this before but you will hear it again. The women in my village decided to ask me for my help so I did a couple of demonstrations on proper gardening techniques. Of course when the day came all the women were shelling peanuts and refuse to go. So I had to strong arm 7 women into coming and after words they decided that it was too hard and got an "expert" from my road town who knows nothing, yet of course all the women listen and do what he says because it is easy. Witch this is the hardest part of my work people don't want to do what I point out, for example why are you not taking your baby to the health post, oh you don't have the money because you just bought attya, well then maybe you should not buy it. Apparently that is just crazy talk but this is just the difficulties of the job. Of course over here you find the little things that are funny like watching your little brother running over to me with cow poop in his hands asking if it is good to put in your garden bed. Or feigning ignorance when my brothers are pantomiming the french word for kissing, turning down my grandmothers propositions for sex by saying she dose not have a big enough butt and she needs to eat more rice before she comes back, or learning my counterpart is an evil genus by giving me my own plot in the women's garden so I can rub the better gardening practices in their faces. Either way it is all about the little things in life, you could dwell on the negative or translate Sir Mixalot in to Seereer and let them enjoy.

1 comment:

  1. I have the same issue with my students' families sometimes. So you don't have enough money for rent or your kid's physical therapy, but everyone in the family has a new cell phone and iPad.... that makes sense!!
    Don't worry though, you'll persevere and convince those women to change their ways! You are rather charming!! :)

    ReplyDelete